Monday, October 19, 2009

The scoop about the 'troops'

Hello all, how is your October going for you? Good. Glad to hear it. It's hard to believe that we're 2/3s of the way done with it already! God's been good, and we've been busy. At the moment, we are in Fayetteville, North Carolina, because as military missionaries, we go to a military base and see if there is a way to interface it with a local church. The installations that we're working with right now are called Fort Bragg and also it's little brother, Pope AFB. Lots of servicemen in the area! Dad's been in contact with the chaplaincy, and the Lord may open the door for us to get something started here.

In the meantime, we're visiting some of the churches in this area, and God's been allowing us to get involved in the singing and the preaching as well! A week ago, I had the opportunity to preach chapel at one of the local christian schools, and Jon at the mission!

We've not been gathering rust, because the He's been pouring out the oil for us.

I've been reading through the New Testament lately, and today I started in on Romans. Verse 1 of the first chapter says, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..." and I thought that it's kind of like this. Let's say you ran across an ancient cure for a widespread and deadly disease. You knew that if you could just tell these sick folks about the cure for their ailment, you wouldn't have any trouble doing whatever it took to get the cure into their hands.

You would do it, even if some people thought you were crazy and weird.

I say, "but it's a little strange to stand on the street corner giving out gospel tracts." Paul says, "I don't care, because it changes lives." I say, "People will look at me like I'm crazy if I knock on their door with a Bible under my arm." Paul says "Jesus can fill the emptiness in their soul and life." And I say, "What will my lost cousin think if I tell him about God's love?" Paul says, "if we can just pull back the curtains and let the Light in, he'll be a totally new person."

This is convicting stuff. I have this phobia of wierd looks and stares. But I feel certain that 99% of you feel the same way. Nobody likes to be thought of a strange! But my desire for God's power to be seen in a HUGE way is going to overpower those feelings. My love for Him is going to be bigger than my view of them. With me?

Just a thought. It may require a thinking cap, and don't do it without a Bible handy.

Psalm 70:4 Let God Be magnified!

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Hey Ya'll are not far from us!
It would be so cool to hear you and your family at a near by church!
We are about 30..45 min. from fort bragg I think... anyway I just thought I'd let you know..isn't it nice to be down here in God's country? Hehehe... I love N.C. Hope the Lord blesses while ya'll are here!

Katie said...

I know a couple people down at Fort Bragg, it'd be great if y'all got in there. Praying God will work that out.

 
Site Meter